UK Visa Space Standards

The adequate accommodation requirement in relation to the UK spouse (or marriage) visa is designed to ensure migrants do not come to the country and end up living in overcrowded or substandard housing conditions.

To obtain the best advice regarding whether or not your accommodation is adequate, consult an immigration lawyer in the first instance, who can advise you on whether or not your housing meets the required standard and the next best steps to take if it does not.

Overcrowding is defined in the Housing Act 1985, which specifies the numbers permitted for a given number of rooms or given floor area. Account is only taken of rooms with a floor area larger than 50 sq. ft. and excludes kitchens, bathrooms, toilets, etc.

Often applicants will need to then engage a chartered surveyor to carry out the internal inspection and measurement of the accommodation and produce a report as part of the visa application.

We are always happy to answer queries. Call us on:

Tel: +441202 526629 (Bournemouth office)
Tel: +441823 218872 (Taunton office)
Tel: +44 1273 121989 (Brighton office)

Start With
A Free Quote !


Please answer this question to submit form